Waskatenau is named after a Cree word meaning "opening in the bank". The Village came into existence in 1919 after the railway came through the area. Prior to this the area was known as Pine Creek. Pine Creek was located near the North Saskatchewan river and it was the local post office. The district's first post office, Pine Creek, was opened in 1907 in the home of F.O.Henry on the historic Victoria Trail.
Mr. Henry was the first settler in the area to file for a homestead NW 34-58-19-4 in 1904. From then on the home of the Henry’s also served as general store to the area, a hard tile agency and later in 1913 as a telephone pay station. In 1913 with a change in the government the post office was transferred to the home of a neighbor, S.A McDonald who also had a store. Supplies and mail for the settlers came by stage and barge.
Trips with horses or Oxes was made to Bruderheim, Ft. Saskatchewan or Edmonton. For a time, around 1916, the steamboat, CITY OF EDMONTON picked up livestock and grain from Pine Creek. By 1912 nearby every homestead in the surrounding area had been taken, so when the railroad came through in 1919 the nucleus of the hamlet formed near the tracks. Mr. Ira Fetteby was appointed postmaster in Waskatenau and the Pine Creek office was closed.
By 1929 Waskatenau was thriving and included: four general stores, hardware store, two barber shops, one poolroom, one bank, a meat market, two confectionery shops, one boarding house, one hotel, two restaurants, two blacksmiths, two garages, five grain elevators, one bakery, two lawyers, one doctor, a skating rink, a community hall, two churches and a three room school as well as fifteen organizations.
In 1932 Waskatenau was incorporated into a village with population of 200. The first councilors were W.J. Boyd, Qeen Fosher, W, V Philips, Mr. Boyd becoming a mayor and J.E. Vance secretary.
The school grew to seven rooms to accommodate the larger population turning out many students who have taken place in the world with responsible and high paying positions. In 1982 the village celebrated its 50th anniversary since incorporation.
Get your copy of "By River and Trail", a two-volume, 1350 pages set of hardcover books that records the history of Waskatenau and 13 surrounding school districts by visiting the local library or by contacting the Village Office at [780-358-2208] or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org